10 December 2009

Meanwhile, high above the Pacific Ocean...

In 2001, after a chaotic two months that involved everything from 9/11 occurring while in the midst of a severe tequila hangover haze to my friend and I accidentally becoming illegal immigrants in China due to an unfortunate Visa error, I was finally on a plane back to America.

Since the flight back is incredibly long, and Seth wanted to sleep, I gave him some Ambien. Within about 10 minutes, my traveling companion was exhibiting the typical signs of being deeply asleep, and other than the occasional required shrug to dislodge his snoring and drooling face from my shoulder, he stayed completely motionless for several hours.

After a few too many hours of the artificial night that comes from everyone shutting their blinds at the same time and pretending that it’s not sunny outside, the flight attendant came by and asked if we would like some breakfast. I said that we both would, and she dropped off two trays of food and two cups of coffee.

After drinking my cup rather quickly, and realizing it would be a while before she would return with a refill, I switched cups with Seth and drank his as well. I really didn’t think he’d mind. After very quietly trying to rouse him from his slumber, I took it upon myself to decide he really wasn’t hungry, and would probably just like to sleep. So, after placing a knife and fork in both of his hands and tucking a napkin into his collar like a bib, I switched our trays and proceeded to eat a second breakfast.

The attendant came by when I was halfway through Seth’s tray and asked if we’d like a refill on our coffee.

You bet I would! I said with a smile. And my friend here would probably like some as well. He looks like he could use it!

She stared down at Seth, and seemed to be putting a lot of thought into how someone apparently woke up, drank a cup of coffee, ate an entire tray of food, and then passed back out while still clutching his utensils, and who now was in dire need of a second cup of coffee.

I’m a slow eater.” I said, while nibbling on a piece of fruit.

She poured the coffee and continued on her refill route while I thoroughly enjoyed my 3rd and 4th cups of coffee. Seth, of course, kept on with his morning routine of snoring, drooling on his bib and holding onto his knife and fork.

“Is there anything else I can get for you?” She asked when came back by, obviously ready to clear everything away.

“I’m fine, but he might want something” I said, nodding towards Seth.

I nudged him, and after much longer than the attendant probably wanted to wait, he finally opened his eyes.

“Seth! This lady wants to know if you want anything else!”

He stared at me, stared at her, and then stared at the now empty plate in front of him.

“I think I want some breakfast, and maybe some coffee!” he said, although gesticulating wildly while holding onto a fork doesn’t really do much in an effort to prove you haven’t eaten yet.

After the attendant said that they don’t normally give people two plates of food, and Seth trying to explain that he really didn’t think he’d even had a first plate yet, I had to admit that I had eaten everything. The flight attendant looked annoyed, but she came back and gave him breakfast, although I’m pretty sure his empty tray stayed there for nearly an hour after he was done.

Needless to say, she was really not too kind for the rest of the flight, and I certainly learned a valuable lesson about…

No, I really didn’t learn anything other than the simple fact that making people think, even for a brief and shining moment, that they have done something like eat and forget about it, is hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you